In 2019, 183 workers were fatally injured at work. Though this number has been steadily decreasing over the last decade in Australia, any workplace death is tragic and unacceptable. By taking action to eliminate or minimise health and safety risks at work and raising awareness of related issues and we can help prevent further work-related fatalities and injuries.
The theme of this years World Day for Safety and Health at Work Day is Anticipate, prepare and respond to crises and invest now in resilient OHS systems, in response to the impact that the global COVID-19 pandemic has had on workplace health and safety.
Things we can do:
- Promoting world day for safety and health at work and workers’ memorial day in the workplace
- Stop for a moment of silence to honouring the memory of those who have died at work
- Organising an internal “lessons learned” talk to share experiences of how actions have prevented future work-related deaths, injuries and illnesses
- Arranging for a safety expert to speak at the workplace
- Attending a local workers’ memorial event with colleagues or family
- Run a competition for workplace health and safety improvement suggestions or innovations
- Ensure your business’ COIVD safe plan is up to date
- You can utalise the Safe Work Australia poster in your work place by pinning it on walls and office. You can download it herePost and use hashtags such as #worldWHSday2021, #SafeDay2021 or #IWMD2021 via your social media channels to look like you are involved & ahead of the curve
Improving first aid preparedness to enable better safety outcomes:
- Understand that as an employer, you are responsible for all your workers
- Understand your workplace first aid obligations by reaching out to your WHS regulator.
- Conduct a workplace first aid audit to check you have adequate and up to date first aid equipment
- Ensure you have appropriate trained first aiders with up to date first aid training
- Ensure you have first aid kits that are compliant, easy to use and easy to refill, such as the Fastaid First Aid Kit R4 Construction Medic Kit